Gone are the days when you’d have just one trusty pair of runners to take you out on an afternoon run. Now, there is a trainer for every occasion and we’re going to give your our expert advice on how to clean and care for them at home. After all, they are probably the most comfortable shoe in the wardrobe and are an easy way to dress down an outfit without sacrificing style. Trainers are more popular than ever and come with a personality of their own. You might opt for a hint of 90s nostalgia in Balenciaga’s Buffalo style Triple S or go for a sleek pair of sustainably made Veja that ooze off duty model cool. Whatever your trainer style, grab them (all of them!) and give them the love they deserve by following our guide to restoring your trainers from home.
Follow Step By Step
- First things first, remove the laces and leave them to soak in some soapy water. If they are white (or at least used to be) add a little stain remover before putting them in the washing machine.
- Use a brush (an old toothbrush works just fine) to get deep into the crevices of the sole. Just dip it in soapy water and wipe away the excess dirt and water as you go.
- Leave them to dry naturally, as tempting as it is do not put next to an artificial heat source like a radiator.
- Once they are completely dry and if they are leather, add some carnauba cream to moisturise the leather which prevents cracking. A little goes a long way and be sure to buff with a clean cloth after conditioning – really get your elbow into it. Do not use on veg leather, suede or nubuck!
- Once the laces are dry, we recommend ironing these before putting them back in.
- Store your trainers in dust bags when they aren’t in use. this prevents any potential scratches and colour transfer from other items which can be hard to rectify.
Our top tip is to leave tea bags inside the soles which eliminates any lingering odours. Green, earl grey, lemon and ginger the choice is yours!
Head to our Instagram story highlights and you’ll see this guide in action on our Restore Your… series. Share your clean trainers after following our guide and tag The Restory.
For any deep scratches and scuffing that can’t be rectified with a simple wipe down, use our preliminary quote form to get an estimate cost of repair. Our Case Study on Loro Piana trainers shows the colour and leather restoration our experts can provide.